Join us on MAY 15 for the first-ever
RALLY FOR AGE JUSTICE!
By supporting The Rally for Age Justice, you will be making history. This is the first event of its kind, focusing exclusively on the issues that impact our country’s older adults. Social Security has not kept up with the cost of living, and that’s ageism. When the current administration threatens to cut both Social Security and Medicare, that’s ageism. When elderly people are evicted from their homes, that’s ageism. When the job market turns its back on us, that’s ageism. When we can’t afford our medical prescriptions, that’s ageism. And, when lunch at the senior center is our only decent meal all day, that’s ageism. We can’t allow our voices be drowned out. Any contribution, big or small, will go a long way to make this Rally the success it deserves to be. The other action you can take is to join us on May 15th if you can. Let’s demonstrate that older adults have a voice, and we won’t be silenced.
What Age Justice Stands For:
- People of all ages standing together in our shared interests to fight ageism.
- Inclusivity: Becoming old is a place that for once unites all races, genders, sexualities, religions and other social factors that all too often have divided us earlier.
- The dignity and well being of the frail and disabled.
- Building and maintaining a society that replaces ageist myths with the solidarity, respect and love of people of all ages, sharing our gifts of collaboration, common purpose, and regard for each other’ well being.
What Age Justice Stands Against:
- More and more old people, feeling the lash of workplace discrimination, are becoming part of the invisible poor.
- The marginalization, exploitation and isolation of older adults which renders them irrelevant.
- American culture that perpetuates ageist bias, pitting old against young.
- Assuming we are not part of the future. Politicians, both liberal and conservative, take older people for granted.
- Any diminishment of Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. We cannot let this happen!
AGEISM LIKE THIS EXISTS BECAUSE PEOPLE DO NOT SEE OLDER ADULTS AS PART OF THE FUTURE. WE ARE PART OF THE FUTURE TOO!
Our 27 (and growing!) Co-Sponsors:
- Brooklyn-wide Interagency Council on Aging
- Carter Burden Network
- Center for Independence of the Disabled –NY
- Central NJ Radical Age Chapter
- City Meals on Wheels
- Coming of Age NYC
- Educational Alliance
- EmergingAging NYC
- End Of Life Choices
- Eviction Intervention Services: Homelessness Prevention (EIS)
- Fordham Graduate School of Social Service
- Gray Panthers
- Griot Circle
- James Lenox House
- JFREJ / Caring Majority
- NY Society for Ethical Culture/Social Service Board
- NY Statewide Senior Action Council
- NYS Alliance for Retired Americans
- Philadelphia Radical Age Chapter
- Radical Age at SAGE Chapter
- SAGE NY
- Samaritans Suicide Prevention Center
- SASS at Silberman School of Social Work
- Stony Brook University School of Social Work
- This Chair Rocks
- Women’s Radical Age Chapter, Provincetown
To see our co-sponsors’ websites, click here
OUR AGE JUSTICE SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN
Please feel free to use and post on your own social media and send to your listserve.